I needed to go to the Carpenter's garage this morning cause Linda J. was having a workshop and invited me to come with some of my albums. She would help transfer pics from one to another (if that's what they needed) and so I had to go and see what I thought was a priority. I brought home 3 or 4 bins of albums (all without their covers) and some other boxes of pictures (loose). I decided that since my son Mike was getting married next month - his albums should be the priority.
So I took three with me - his baby - high school album, another album full of art pictures he did at school and his trip to England and beyond album. We took the page protectors off of all the pages - and found the jeeping (edges) somewhat smoky - but most of the pics seemed pretty good. So we left them on the pages. The first album - we put new page protectors on them and put an album cover on them. The other two albums - are without their smoky page protectors and they're sitting on Linda's shelf til she can get a couple of donated album covers on them - and then we'll add the page protectors. Then I can give these albums back to Mike - to have in their new "home" or apartment, as it will be.
One of the things I want to do - is sort through all of the pictures I had in power sort boxes - and then decide what I really need to keep (for the kids) and what I can just toss out. One of these days, I hope to get in the mood to scrapbook again - cause right now - I wonder why I even spent all of that time to do it - when right now - the albums can barely be seen.
Anyway - so - I got the albums out for this mornings' workshop. Then Sarah called a little after 12 and said her call didn't start so I left Linda's to jumpstart Sarah's car. After the third try - it started. Then I decided to go back to the garage and sort through some more things. That's when I remembered - take some pictures!
I found the boxes that were in the back rooms - where the doors were closed and they were safe from the smoke. Things that belong to Alicia (Barry's oldest daughter who had already moved out but left some things in her closet). and then things for Heather. Most everything in her room can be saved. And then some things from Jen's room. I found the frame of pictures of her mom that I had given her on our first Christmas together. I made one for each of the girls and also one for Malinda's parents. I know it means a lot to them to have it.
The girls were fortunate not to lose much in the smoke - as did Barry and I and a lot of Mike's things and Sarah's things. But the girls had a bigger loss 5 yrs ago when their Mom (Malinda) died from a brain tumor. Kids shouldn't have to deal with the loss of a parent - especially at such a young age. Jenny was 9. Now - after the fire was out and they found that chest that had some of Malinda's keepsakes in it - they were relieved - as to not lose another thing that reminded them of her.
There is still much sorting to take place - even after we get all the things we want to try and save out of the Carpenter's garage. It's time to sort through the big stuff - mattresses - dressers - that were in the girls' room (with the doors closed!) - will we be able to salvage them?
One thing I keep thinking about - people always wonder what they will grab when their house is on fire. We talk about that with albums - like keeping your favorites by the front door so you can grab them when you leave the house.
Barry and I were not home when the fire took place - but Heather was. She grabbed the best thing for her at the time - a towel! To cover herself up. There wasn't time to think of what else to grab. I think if I was there - I would get myself and my family out first - then if there was time to go back in and get something? Maybe I would - or would at least send Joel in for me (our resident firefighter).
Family is the most important part of a house. Everything else is pretty much replacable.
I'm glad I have our family - now safe and sound.
Soon - we'll be going back to the garage - and sort through some more stuff - sometimes I wish it had all just burnt - it would make this cleaning up job - a whole lot easier.
Thanks for reading today - have a good one!